October and the Harvest Moon have a unique power. There is a thinning of the veil between the worlds. Perhaps you’ve heard this phrase, particularly in October, and even more particularly around Halloween.
But what exactly is the veil? Why is it thin and why does it matter? The veil is where I meet your loved ones, guides, and angels. It is place between the worlds of seen and unseen, known and unknown, living and spirit. You can learn to connect with this energy also.
Why is the veil thin throughout October? Because the days are getting shorter, and we are preparing to temporarily withdraw from the realm of life and growth. The harvest cycle is winding down, but it’s not gone completely yet. This represents a transition or a doorway.
Because the veil between the worlds is thin in October, we feel drawn to certain themes at this time of year. There’s no denying that as we approach Halloween, death is a primary cultural symbol. Scary movies, ghosts, graveyards, zombies, and skeletons, ways of honoring the dead, like Día De Los Muertos. This Day of the Dead is a celebration of life and death. Knowing the veil is at it thinnest explains our draw to these themes.
The Harvest Moon also plays it part. It was October 22nd, but we can still harness the power of the Hunter Moon to release negativity. Take advantage of it by ridding yourself of the negative thoughts and energy in your mind that might be holding you back. The Hunter’s Moon allows time for you to unwind and release any harmful habits. It can help you by setting a positive mindset for the coming journey into the darker months. It also represents transformations!
Here are some things you can do to connect during this time.
- Try Connecting through your dreams: During October, get into bed with the intention to connect as you are drifting off to sleep. If you’d like to get some advice from a spirit guide or guardian angel, or if you want to connect with a loved one who has transitioned to the other side, just ask them. See what happens.
- Use Sage to cleanse: Inhaling the smell of sage in 3 deep breaths to center yourself and allow a sense of calmness to wash over you. Sage aids in to healing from grief, helps to increase wisdom and helps you builds emotional strength.
Next, waft the smoke around yourself, and then move to each room of your home. Allow the smoke to move through your space.
As you do so, set your intention and release anything that’s not serving you. Choose a mantra, like: “I release the thoughts that no longer serve me from reaching my highest potential – I call in abundance and positivity for this new journey ahead.”
Be sure to waft the smoke into each corner of your rooms
Once you’ve allowed the smoke to go through your home, open a window or a door to allow the old energy out and new energy in.
You can also open a window to the moonlight to allow it to bath your home in the Moon Energy.
- Take a cleansing bath or shower: Water is incredibly powerful. There are many benefits to taking a cleansing bath as part of a ritual. Take this time to relax, meditate, focus on releasing negative energy. Imagine letting go of what is no longer serving you and send it right down the drain.
- Burn it: Because the full moon represents completion, try writing down your inner thoughts and releasing the energy that is not for your highest good by burning it. (Safely of course)
- Write your intentions: Manifest your intentions into your life. What do you want to attract? Where do you see yourself in six months or a year? Visualize where you want to be and write is down “as if” it is already there.
Sometimes the best way to gain connection through the veil or to take advantage of the energy of the Harvest Moon is to sit back and relax. Many times, we can see more of what is happening around us if we take a moment to slow down and look closer.