I sat down with my good friend Sarita from Tibet Imports a few months ago. Sarita grew up in Nepal and is an incredible Vedic Astrologer and Mala maker. She is also a kind and wonderful person. Together we created my own exclusive Mala line and every single one is handmade. Every bead and color chosen has a very specific purpose and I have blessed or activated them. I can’t wait to share what we have done. First, I will give you some information about Mala’s because there are so many powerful things about them.
Vedic Astrology means “the science of light”. Vedic science comes from the Vedas, one of the oldest spiritual scriptures in India dating back to 1,500-2,000 BCE. It gives us the ability to see into our lives with more clarity. Vedic science is the science of self-knowledge. Through self-realization everything is known. This gives us the realization that the Divine Spirit is within all things, and our connection and unity to Spirit.
A full Mala is a string of 108 beads used for meditation to count the mantras, or intentions. It is also all about the beads as every bead possesses energetic qualities and this is why we chose very specific beads for my line of Mala. Why 108 beads? There are so many reasons but here are a few.
- Renowned Vedic mathematicians believed that the number 108 represent the wholeness of existence
- There are 108 marma points (concentrated centers of energy) in the human body
- In the tantric systems of subtle physiology, there are said to be 108 nadis (energy channels) that converge to form the heart chakra.
- According to Yogi tradition, there are 108 sacred places on the body
- Some believe there are 108 stages on the journey of the soul
- We have 108 bones in the human body
- In Vedic astrology there are 12 houses and 9 planets. 12 times 9=108
- 108 in Vedic Mathematics is called a harshed (great joy) number, which is an integer divisible by its digits
- There are 108 human feelings, 36 related to the past, 36 related to the present and 26 related to the future
- The Ganga, India’s sacred river spans a longitude of 12 degrees, 79 to 21, and a latitude of 9 degrees, 22 to 31. 12 times 9 =108
- It is said that 1 stands for “God” or the higher truth. 0 stands for emptiness or completeness in spiritual practice and 8 stands for infinity or eternity.
- The diameter of the Sun is 108 times the diameter of Earth. The distance from the Sun to the Earth is 108 times the diameter of the Sun.
- The average distance of the Moon from Earth is 108 times the diameter of the Moon.
- In Astrology, the metal silver is said to represent the moon. The atomic weight of silver is 108.
- Chemistry periodic charts have 108 elements. We have 108 elements in the Universe
A Mala is useful for bringing the energy of the universe to you or giving energy out to the universe or others. Wearing a Mala can help you concentrate your mind and may help focus on the intention you are creating. In meditation create your Mantra and practice your Mantra for 40 days. You can use a simple word, sentence or phrase with the intention of channeling a specific energy. OM is the most universal mantra out there and it is believed to represent the entirety of your consciousness. Because of that it can mean anything you want. You can also have a word or phrase that is specific to what you are manifesting. It is up to you.
It is also a personal choice on how you wear your Mala. You should wear it on you left wrist to receive energy or to bring energy towards you, the left is moon energy. You wear it on your right wrist to give energy, the right is the sun energy. The moon or left side of your body is feminine and the right side including the sun is masculine energy. Or you can wear it as a necklace to absorb the intention you are creating. Keep in mind the stone needs to touch your skin because the heat from your body and oil from your body need to touch the stone to receive the energy from the stone.
Your Mala will come cleansed for you but there are many ways to cleanse energy from your stones. You can burn sage, Palo Santo wood, incense, rose water or hand them in the light of the full moon. It is not suggested to wear your Mala to bed or in the shower. Do not store your Mala on the floor or in the bathroom.
If your Mala breaks be very happy because all the intention and thought’s you are trying to shift have shifted. It will encourage you to move forward to a higher level. You can repair your broken Mala with a new thread and tassel, or you can offer it to the earth.
Now to share the Mala’s. They are beautiful and powerful. Take a look.