I am an avid follower, teacher, and practice Feng Shui in my daily life so when the Chinese New Year comes around, I love to recognize and celebrate.
The past couple years, 2020-the year of the Rat was about survival, 2021-the year of the Ox was about anchoring ourselves in a new reality.
Now this year 2022 is the Year of the Tiger we will be focused on BIG changes.
Chinese New Year is on Tuesday, February 1st. It is the Lunar New Year or Spring Festival, celebrated at the second new moon following the Winter Solstice. It marks the end of winter and the beginning of spring!
This is not only the Year of the Tiger, but also the year of the “Water Tiger”. If you remember from my teaching in Feng Shui, water represents emotion. Water years tend to bring out our emotions to the forefront.
What do you think of when you consider what a tiger represents?
Great strength, fearlessness, bravery, and forcefulness. It is also associated with masculine or Yang energy. Tigers are independent, fearless, loyal, and confident. Tigers are strong in the face of adversity and never back down from a challenge, they’re persistent and determined.
Generally, this will be a year for gaining back some strength and vitality after a hard-working and often tiring 2021 (year of the metal ox). We’re finding enthusiasm again, both for ourselves and for others. Social connection, and progress become possible again under this sign. But also expect things to rapidly change this year, ups and downs and some drama. Sudden disruptions in career, romance and home life should be expected.
There are some things that will bring you good luck this year. The colors of green and blue, and lucky numbers 1,3 and 7.
Some other things you can do to usher in the Chinese New Year and bring good luck.
- Before the new year clean up your home. You can get rid of the old energy and bring in new energy and good fortune for the new year. The Chinese believe energy and good luck flows around the house so don’t clean on New Year’s Day, you don’t want to wash away the good luck and prosperity.
- Make your house beautiful. Decorate with flowers, apples, oranges, grapes which are all symbols of prosperity and welcome in a lucky and fruitful new year. Colors like red and gold are great colors to use.
- Buy new clothes. How about something red. Red is the luckiest color for the Chinese Lunar New Year.
- Have a meal with your family. It is a “reunion dinner” traditionally. Fish is considered to be lucky.
- Put lucky money into red envelopes and give to bring good luck and good health. Pick lucky numbers like “6” (Everything goes smoothly.) and “8” (Good luck in making money.)
- Eat something sweet. We will generally feel happy when eating sweets. And having sweets during Chinese New Year will brighten up your life, in other words, you may start a joyful new year with happiness and energy.
Happy Lunar Chinese New Year